Medical Student Resources
The steps of practicing EBM:
- Ask a focused question.
- Track down the evidence
- Critically appraise evidence for its validity, effect size, precision
- Apply the evidence in practice:
- amalgamate the valid evidence with other relevant information (values & preferences, clinical/health issues, & system issues)
- implement the decision in practice
- EBM case template
- Lecture 1 EBM year4 introduction 2014
- Lecture 2 Introduction to EBM question formulation
- Finding the Evidence
- CEBM Presentations
- EBM Tools
- Levels of Evidence
- Critical Appraisal tools & worksheets
- Graduate Entry Resources
Year 4 Medical Students
- Introduction to EBM and Question Formulation 2018 (Access)
- Template 2018
- Introduction to EBM 2016 (Access)
- Introduction to EBM and Question formulation (Access)
- How to critically appraise a systematic review (Access) Link to paper (PubMed) (Lancet) (Lancet IPD)
- Critical appraisal of RCTs (PowerPoint) Link to paper (NEJM)
- Rapid RCT appraisal checklist (PDF)
Chapter 39: Evidence Based Medicine; C. Heneghan, P. Glasziou.
Chapter 30: Evidence-Based Medicine; C. Heneghan, P. Glasziou.
EBM Volume 10: Finding the Gold in Medline.
EBM Notebook: Measurement Scales and their Summary Statistics.
EBM Thread 2010: How to Find the Evidence; E. Bastin, O. Coxall, T. Petrinic.
EBM Volume 10: Statistical approaches to uncertainty: p values and confidence intervals unpacked; H. Doll, S. Carney.