Cookies on this website

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you click 'Accept all cookies' we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies and you won't see this message again. If you click 'Reject all non-essential cookies' only necessary cookies providing core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility will be enabled. Click 'Find out more' for information on how to change your cookie settings.

To describe different doctors' attitudes in drug prescribing in case of influenza-Like-Illness during 2001-2002 influenza season in Lazio region, with regard to consumption and expenditure and its adherence to Italian Guidelines on ILI Management. Prospective study aimed to assess doctors' behaviour in prescribing in respect with the following events: (a) ILI and subsequent controls after diagnosis, (b) complications, (c) adverse events to influenza vaccine. 7,629 subjects, have been identified and only 17% presents one or more comorbidities. There are totally 7,766 cases of ILI: 23% are complicated and out of the remaining 77%, only 14% presents comorbidities. Almost all elderly people have been vaccinated. Antibiotics were prescribed to complicated cases (82%) with comorbidities (55%); 1,075 patients (12%) had second or third contact with doctors in a period longer than 7 days and about 65% of them received antibiotics in case of acute bronchitis; children received mainly ibuprofen and paracetamol for fever control; acetylsalicylic acid in children group has been delivered only in 1% of cases. Overall, doctors' attitude in prescribing is generally coherent with Italian Guidelines on ILI even though a high variability still persists.


Journal article


Annali di igiene : medicina preventiva e di comunità

Publication Date





19 - 26